Video Player change proposal

Matt Davis mtthwldvs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:36:36 UTC 2012

   - Could we make a poll of what should be better to use? I'm aware of
   - consistency issues with VLC, but with a nice GTK theme that integrates
   QT,
   - it behaves very fast. Additionally, is quite one of the biggest media
   - players in the open source world, and is cross-platform... so a lot of
   - users coming from windows could find theirs favourite apps out of the
   box
   - (chromium and vlc)
   - Plus I must say that in my old pentium 3 (1000mhz & 512ram & 8mb
   video) VLC
   - behaves splendid, did a lot of tests to see if Gnome-Mplayer behave
   better
   - but nothing really noticeable (vlc even performed better).
   Additionally, is
   - an incredible well-maintained project with lots of support, so never
   again
   - we should see things like what's happening with our actual player in
   - Lubuntu 12.04 (and apparently in 12.10 too)
   - -- jpxsat

I have never been able to get mplayer or mplayer2 to work. Believe me I
have tried for HOURS. I have recompiled it, downloaded 1.0.6 versions from
Launchpad, tried all combinations of frontends, etc... It never works. I
now consider it broken and don't even bother with it.

Generally for a GTK solution I use gxine, but even that takes a little
fiddling sometimes to get it setup the first time. After that it is very
dependable though. It's browser plugin works well with the Firefox
flashvideoreplacer extension for those that are interested.

VLC is always the "just works" solution, but it is QT and brings those
additional dependancies along with it. This could be prohibitive for
fitting on a cd. Is it possible to subtract both Audacious and
Gnome-mplayer to offset that? VLC would then become the overall one-stop
media center of Lubuntu. I have a feeling a QT app will never happen in a
Lubuntu release. Before anyone should say that VLC is not "light" enough,
my computer is similarly spec'ed to jpxsat. It runs VLC very well.