Release notes for 12.10 - some known problems with video drivers

Tue Oct 16 19:25:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 11:42 +0100, Yorvyk wrote:

> Some of the legacy video drivers are currently non-functional and aren't
> likely to be resolved any time soon. If at all.
>

> Trident Cyberblade - xserver-xorg-video-trident
>
> This driver has a whole array of problems.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=trident&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=
>
> As the VESA driver doesn't work with this chip set the only solution is
> to remain with 12.04.
>

> Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel
>
> This driver currently segfaults on this chipset.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1060492
>
> SiS M650/650 - xserver-xorg-video-sis
>

> This driver currently loops around the login screen for the M650 or
> produces a blank screen 650.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+bug/1034812
>

> Workarounds
>
> Before upgrade from 12.04 blacklist or delete the video driver and use
> Xorg.conf or RandR to set the correct resolution etc. if necessary.
>
> A new install can only be accomplished from the alternate ISO.  On
> reboot go to Recovery Mode and delete/blacklist video driver.  On reboot
> create suitable xorg.conf or use RandR to get correct resolution if
> necessary.
>
> There may be problems with other legacy video chips for which the
> blacklist/delete workaround may well work.

Yorvyk:

In looking more carefully at your e-mail, I noticed a work-around, which
is good.

I have a few more questions though.

In the "Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel" case, is that only for
the i810 chipset, or is it for Intell graphics in general?  If only the
i810 chipset has the problem, my primary machine should be okay, because
it uses the i865 chipset.

Perhaps the quickest way to determine this, is download the daily-build
CD image, and try it out.  I assume if it has the problem on my machine,
the live-CD will not run successfully with the intel graphics on my
machine.

--

Sincerely,
Aere