Release notes for 12.10 - some known problems with video drivers

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:09:07 UTC 2012

On 16/10/12 20:25, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 11:42 +0100, Yorvyk wrote:
>> Some of the legacy video drivers are currently non-functional and
>> aren't likely to be resolved any time soon. If at all.
>>

>> Trident Cyberblade - xserver-xorg-video-trident
>>
>> This driver has a whole array of problems.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=trident&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=

As the VESA driver doesn't work with this chip set the only solution is
>> to remain with 12.04.
>>

>> Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel
>>
>> This driver currently segfaults on this chipset.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1060492

SiS M650/650 - xserver-xorg-video-sis

>> This driver currently loops around the login screen for the M650 or
>> produces a blank screen 650.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+bug/1034812

Workarounds

>> Before upgrade from 12.04 blacklist or delete the video driver and
>> use Xorg.conf or RandR to set the correct resolution etc. if
>> necessary.
>>
>> A new install can only be accomplished from the alternate ISO.  On
>>  reboot go to Recovery Mode and delete/blacklist video driver.  On
>> reboot create suitable xorg.conf or use RandR to get correct
>> resolution if necessary.
>>
>> There may be problems with other legacy video chips for which the
>> blacklist/delete workaround may well work.
>>

> Yorvyk:
>
> In looking more carefully at your e-mail, I noticed a work-around,
> which is good.

As I say the workaround does work but, depending on the monitor, can
result in an unsuitable screen resolution.  So you'll have to brush up
on your xorg.conf or RandR settings :/

> I have a few more questions though.
>
> In the "Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel" case, is that only
> for the i810 chipset, or is it for Intell graphics in general?  If
> only the i810 chipset has the problem, my primary machine should be
> okay, because it uses the i865 chipset.

I've tried an i865 and the results have been rather erratic.  I'm not
convinced about the PSU in that machine though, so I'm reluctant to say
what the results are. I've only seen the problem on i810 and not seen
any reports for other chip sets so I don't know.  It may work on some
i810 based boards as this chip set was always a bit problematic with
different manufactures wiring it up in
different ways.

> Perhaps the quickest way to determine this, is download the
> daily-build CD image, and try it out.  I assume if it has the
> problem on my machine, the live-CD will not run successfully with the
> intel graphics on my machine.

All my tests have shown the problem is reproducible with the live-CD and
that the alternate ISO will install but on reboot will fail with the
segfault problem. So you'll have to reboot to recovery mode.  See my
post 'Recovery Mode Failure' to see the workaround for that problem.
Looks like anybody with video problems is going to have fun with this
upgrade and is going to have to put in a bit of work to get things working.