Release notes for 12.10 - some known problems with video drivers

Tue Oct 16 15:39:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 11:42 +0100, Yorvyk wrote:

> Some of the legacy video drivers are currently non-functional and aren't
> likely to be resolved any time soon. If at all.
>

> Trident Cyberblade - xserver-xorg-video-trident
>
> This driver has a whole array of problems.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=trident&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=
>
> As the VESA driver doesn't work with this chip set the only solution is
> to remain with 12.04.
>

> Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel
>
> This driver currently segfaults on this chipset.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1060492
>
> SiS M650/650 - xserver-xorg-video-sis
>

> This driver currently loops around the login screen for the M650 or
> produces a blank screen 650.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+bug/1034812
>

> Workarounds
>
> Before upgrade from 12.04 blacklist or delete the video driver and use
> Xorg.conf or RandR to set the correct resolution etc. if necessary.
>
> A new install can only be accomplished from the alternate ISO.  On
> reboot go to Recovery Mode and delete/blacklist video driver.  On reboot
> create suitable xorg.conf or use RandR to get correct resolution if
> necessary.
>
> There may be problems with other legacy video chips for which the
> blacklist/delete workaround may well work.

All:

This particular problem:

    Intel i810 - xserver-xorg-video-intel

    This driver currently segfaults on this chipset.

Will make Lubuntu 12.10 useless for me, since my primary machine is a
Dell Dimension DX1100, which uses the Intel i810 graphics, and it does
not have a slot for a nvidia card.

Is this a Lubuntu-specific problem, or does it apply to all the Ubuntu
variants?

Is there any sort of work-around (or are all these machines now
worthless)?