[Lubuntu] How to unmount a camera from the command line?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Nov 1 22:36:00 UTC 2012

I'm trying to get a Canon Powershot G1 USB-connected camera working with
remote capture (tethering) using either Entangle or Gtkam.

Both apps get tripped up on the fact that Lubuntu auto-mounted the
camera.  Gtkam simply generates an error message about the camera
already being in use.  Entangle notes the same condition and offers to
unmount the camera, but approving that causes the program to lock up.

Either program launches OK if I manually unmount the camera from pcmanfm
first.

So I'd like to launch the camera program from a script that first
unmounts the camera.

Post #2 in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967104had a solution
in the command "gvfs-mount -s gphoto2," but gvfs-mount is not installed
by default in Lubuntuand is not available from the default repos.

I also tried "sudo umount /home/<user>/.gvfs," which was the mount point
suggested to me by "sudo mount."  That ran without error, but the camera
did not seem to be truly unmounted, and both cam apps errored as before.

What's my best solution in Lubuntu?