Empty spaces in lxpanel when using xfce4-power-manager

Henry Gebhardt hsggebhardt at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 25 11:59:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:28:53AM +0100, Michael Basse wrote:
> Maybe someone can give me a hint about debugging on something like that?

I usually put statements like

    fprintf(stderr, "Got this far, task %p added\n", task_pointer);

into C code to see what it is doing until a better understanding of the
problem emerges.

> sometimes i saw programs having a "dpg" extension. Is that a way to
> debug something like that? At the moment i only know strace.

I think those add debugging info for tools like gdb and valgrind to show
you file and line number of where a problem occurrs. I find them most
useful for debugging segmentation faults and detecting uninitialized
variables.

> Maybe i should call "lxpanel" with strace and do some "ac adapter
> on/off" actions to get some usefull output. But if someone of you has
> another/better idea on how to debug stuff like that, any feedback is
> welcome.

For this particular case I ran xfce4-power-manager with cinnamon (Mint's
version of Gnome 3), and I observed the same problem with ghost-icons in
the systray after suspend-and-resume. This makes me think the problem is
in x-p-m.

> Kind regards from Germany

Henry