[lubuntu-devel] Cosmic Cuttlefish testing

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:12:02 UTC 2018

Hi Walter,

I don't know much about LXQt, so please pardon my ignorance...

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 17:27, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 03:51:24PM +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> > Could not find a hardware info tool so had to install hardinfo.
>
> It seems that we failed to remember one of those when picking out
> default apps. Have any suggestions for something Qt-based?

Sorry, no.

> "System Tools -> Discover" looks interesting but is very slow, eventually
> > stopped responding and had to be forcibly closed,
>
> No such problem here, so that's curious. What exact steps did you take
> to induce this slowness?

I ran it. Looked at the window. Tried to scroll the window up and down.

> "System Tools -> fcitx" Would not run at all. Decided to run it from a
> > Terminal to get more info. Last message is "ERROR -2396 instance.c : 443"
> > and its exit codee was 0.
>
> This is simply a lack of understanding as to what it is. When you load
> it, it doesn't open an application window. It adds an icon to your
> system tray. If you try to run it again, it will complain. Only one
> instance allowed.

Agreed. See first comment :)

> Given the crash reports made about PCManFM on the current Lubuntus, it
> > would be really helpful if we could have a more robust file manager
> > installed by default.
>
> You cannot take any piece of LXQt to be directly comparable to the LXDE
> counterpart. There is completely different code, run by a completely
> different team, with much more active development on the LXQt side. This
> is part of the reason for us to switch to LXQt. I have heard no similar
> complaints about PCManFM*-Qt*.

OK, that puts my mind at ease. BTW, where will the source code be held?

BW,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software