[lubuntu-devel] Cosmic Cuttlefish testing

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 15 16:27:51 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 03:51:24PM +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Could not find a hardware info tool so had to install hardinfo.

It seems that we failed to remember one of those when picking out
default apps. Have any suggestions for something Qt-based?

> "System Tools -> Discover" looks interesting but is very slow, eventually
> stopped responding and had to be forcibly closed,

No such problem here, so that's curious. What exact steps did you take
to induce this slowness?

> "System Tools -> fcitx" Would not run at all. Decided to run it from a
> Terminal to get more info. Last message is "ERROR -2396 instance.c : 443"
> and its exit codee was 0.

This is simply a lack of understanding as to what it is. When you load
it, it doesn't open an application window. It adds an icon to your
system tray. If you try to run it again, it will complain. Only one
instance allowed.

> Given the crash reports made about PCManFM on the current Lubuntus, it
> would be really helpful if we could have a more robust file manager
> installed by default.

You cannot take any piece of LXQt to be directly comparable to the LXDE
counterpart. There is completely different code, run by a completely
different team, with much more active development on the LXQt side. This
is part of the reason for us to switch to LXQt. I have heard no similar
complaints about PCManFM*-Qt*.

--
       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D