[lubuntu-devel] uploaded: almost the released 16.04.1 LTS version for PowerPC

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 10:42:09 UTC 2016

Den 2016-07-25 kl. 02:20, skrev Simon Quigley:
> The Lubuntu team unfortunately can NOT recommend these images due to
> Phill not being a member of the team any more[1] and it not being an
> official server or builder.
>
> To be clear, we didn't release Lubuntu 16.04.1 for PowerPC, and there
> are no official images that we can recommend. I would recommend that
> people stay away from these images because of the aforementioned concerns.
>
> [1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-devel/2016-May/000538.html

Hi Simon, all Lubuntu users and particularly Lubuntu PowerPC users,

Simon is right about not recommending these images. He is representing
Lubuntu officially, and can only recommend images (iso files) that are
released by Ubuntu. We failed to test (and verify) them, so there are no
Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS powerpc iso files.

I think the first point release of every LTS release is the most
important version, most useful for a long period, and I wanted to
provide a 'work-around' for the powerpc users, who obviously are waking
up late for 16.04.1 LTS ;-)

It was my idea to get these images uploaded at Phill's server (it was
not an intrusive move by him).

So, Simon, if you have to be angry, be angry with me.

-o-

I understand and accept, that you cannot recommend these images. They
are no official images, they are not released by Ubuntu. But I think
that these powerpc image are close enough [to 16.04.1 LTS] to be useful.
I was/am suggesting them as a fellow Lubuntu user, nothing official.

-o-

It is also possible to use the current daily and daily-live images,
which should work, but they will be less stable, something between using
a rolling release and the point release, if I understand correctly.

Anyway, they provide a good alternative, maybe the best alternative for
many of us, and you find the iso files directly for the Lubuntu desktop
powerpc version at

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/xenial/daily-live/current/xenial-desktop-powerpc.iso

or via the qa tracker

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/351/builds/126760/downloads

and for the Lubuntu alternate powerpc version at

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/xenial/daily/current/xenial-alternate-powerpc.iso

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/351/builds/126755/testcases

I understand, that these current daily and daily-live images cannot be
recommended like released versions, because they are new and not tested.

In the best of worlds, you, who own PowerPC computers, will get
interested enough to keep testing the current xenial iso files, so that
they will be tested and released as Lubuntu 16.04.{2,3,4,5} LTS when the
time comes for those releases (starting with 16.04.2 six months from now).

Please start reporting test results as soon as possible but at least a
few weeks before each deadline to give the developers time enough to fix
bugs before the release.

Best regards
Nio