[RFC] LEP#2, Local Community Teams vs. Locale Teams

Jon Buckley Jon at itsafork.com
Tue Jul 19 15:20:17 UTC 2011

As I see it, the "super-team" shows a higher level of potential than the
other structures that I have seen so far.

For example, I can see this playing a big roll over time promoting & aiding
with the growth of collaboration between the LoCo teams. Additionally (and
please correct me if I'm wrong), but the "super-team" structure will help to
simplify & organize the contributions from different LoCo teams and
cross-LoCo groups.

For whatever it's worth, I give the proposal a thumbs up!

2011/7/19 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Chris Johnston <chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com>wrote:
>
>> 2011/7/19 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>:
>> > Re Spanish speaking LoCos:
>> > We already have a similar setup on Launchpad (since 2007) with the
>> Ubuntu
>> > Spanish LoCo Team & Ubuntu-es Team. And... it hasn't really worked. If
>> > someone wants support in Spanish, they will turn to their local team and
>> > must say that the local teams are doing a great job here.
>> > I don't know why you want to fix something that's not broken?
>>
>> The part that is broken is when a Local Community Team is trying to
>> encompass the entire world.. I.e. language teams.. If language teams
>> don't work, thats fine. But the LoCo Directory is not setup to support
>> a language team. It does nothing for a language team. As I put in my
>> last email, LoCo Teams are designed to be by region, and not by
>> language. The suggestion made initially was purely a suggestion on a
>> way to collaborate resources between LoCo Teams that speak the same
>> language. As good as #ubuntu-es is, and then having the Spanish
>> Classroom, doing events like User Days, (trust me when I say I know
>> that it is good, having helped them out and seen them in action)
>

> i know. I've been there since day one.

>> can't see why that isn't utilized by the entire Spanish community
>> across the planet. Maybe whoever runs the Spanish resources should
>> reach out to the other Spanish speaking teams and offer to
>> collaborate, I don't know.
>>

> It doesn't work that way.
>
> The UOW in Spanish is a great example; the first edition was organised by
> the six Central American teams. Eventually, the project grew and we created
> the Ubuntu-es Classroom team in order to organise the UOW, UUD and similar
> events.
>
> The thing is that we didn't create a new structure in first place. We did
> it when we felt there was a need for it, not before.
>

>>  Chris
>>
>> --

Jon Buckley
http://www.itsafork.com/