[RFC] LEP#2, Local Community Teams vs. Locale Teams

Leandro Gómez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:49:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Chris Johnston <chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> 2011/7/19 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>:
> > Re Spanish speaking LoCos:
> > We already have a similar setup on Launchpad (since 2007) with the Ubuntu
> > Spanish LoCo Team & Ubuntu-es Team. And... it hasn't really worked. If
> > someone wants support in Spanish, they will turn to their local team and
> > must say that the local teams are doing a great job here.
> > I don't know why you want to fix something that's not broken?
>
> The part that is broken is when a Local Community Team is trying to
> encompass the entire world.. I.e. language teams.. If language teams
> don't work, thats fine. But the LoCo Directory is not setup to support
> a language team. It does nothing for a language team. As I put in my
> last email, LoCo Teams are designed to be by region, and not by
> language. The suggestion made initially was purely a suggestion on a
> way to collaborate resources between LoCo Teams that speak the same
> language. As good as #ubuntu-es is, and then having the Spanish
> Classroom, doing events like User Days, (trust me when I say I know
> that it is good, having helped them out and seen them in action)

i know. I've been there since day one.

> can't see why that isn't utilized by the entire Spanish community
> across the planet. Maybe whoever runs the Spanish resources should
> reach out to the other Spanish speaking teams and offer to
> collaborate, I don't know.

It doesn't work that way.

The UOW in Spanish is a great example; the first edition was organised by
the six Central American teams. Eventually, the project grew and we created
the Ubuntu-es Classroom team in order to organise the UOW, UUD and similar
events.

The thing is that we didn't create a new structure in first place. We did it
when we felt there was a need for it, not before.