[RFC] LEP#2, Local Community Teams vs. Locale Teams

Chris Johnston chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 19 14:29:40 UTC 2011

2011/7/19 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>:
> Re Spanish speaking LoCos:
> We already have a similar setup on Launchpad (since 2007) with the Ubuntu
> Spanish LoCo Team & Ubuntu-es Team. And... it hasn't really worked. If
> someone wants support in Spanish, they will turn to their local team and I
> must say that the local teams are doing a great job here.
> I don't know why you want to fix something that's not broken?

The part that is broken is when a Local Community Team is trying to
encompass the entire world.. I.e. language teams.. If language teams
don't work, thats fine. But the LoCo Directory is not setup to support
a language team. It does nothing for a language team. As I put in my
last email, LoCo Teams are designed to be by region, and not by
language. The suggestion made initially was purely a suggestion on a
way to collaborate resources between LoCo Teams that speak the same
language. As good as #ubuntu-es is, and then having the Spanish
Classroom, doing events like User Days, (trust me when I say I know
that it is good, having helped them out and seen them in action) I
can't see why that isn't utilized by the entire Spanish community
across the planet. Maybe whoever runs the Spanish resources should
reach out to the other Spanish speaking teams and offer to
collaborate, I don't know.

Chris