Logging of Ubuntu LoCo Teams core channels

Zach Gibbens infocop411 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 01:27:54 BST 2010

I know Tennessee had some opinions on it (at the time I thought it was
loco or irc council policy for some time, I was just a regional contact
back then) I'm going to add it to our teams agenda for our meeting
tomorrow. I know personally it's earned it's weight, but others didn't
like how widely indexed it was online via the big search engines.

I do like what ubuntu-nl did, creating an off topic channel & seeing
that two channels work, without trading one for the other.
However, we're unfocused until there is a need for a focused channel,
for meetings, greeting & helping members new & old, then it becomes an
unfocused channel again, there has allways been respect, something of an
unwritten rule. be polite, don't fight.

If logging were an issue, with a two channel system one logged & one
not, what's to prevent an issue from being moved to offtopic, to avoid
the logging, or make it a client to client message for that matter. on
the other end, if logging wasn't made known, who's to say that the
client your using isn't logging it?

It's hard to have an opinion on this one way or another, I see that both
sides have some merit, I'm not sure which way I'd lean. Why not leave it
to the LoCo's (with some strong encouragement, listing where it's
beneficial to have it) we have op's in our channel all the time (not
displaying op status, no need for any ops) nor have we needed it in my
almost 3 years as a member, our channel is active most of the day,
nearly every day. what issues we had were a long time ago & via our
mailing list, not on IRC (outside of logged meetings) it's been over a
year & a half since that happened.

I've not been on this list long & I suppose I don't fully understand the
desire for requiring logging outside of meetings. I do see why logging
is valuable & also unwanted, depending on your opinions on the matter,
why make it policy for every loco to log their channels 24/7, instead of
leaving that up to the loco's, which some loco's choose to log their
channels? I ask with my mind fully open, just trying to have an
understanding on that part of this issue.

Signed,
Zach Gibbens
Tennessee PoC (ubuntu-us-tn)

P.S I didn't mean for this to be as long winded as it became, my apologies.