Logging of Ubuntu LoCo Teams core channels

David dnd at twlakes.net
Fri Oct 8 01:22:57 BST 2010

On 10/06/2010 07:27 PM, Zach Gibbens wrote:
> I know Tennessee had some opinions on it (at the time I thought it was
> loco or irc council policy for some time, I was just a regional contact
> back then) I'm going to add it to our teams agenda for our meeting
> tomorrow. I know personally it's earned it's weight, but others didn't
> like how widely indexed it was online via the big search engines.
>
> I do like what ubuntu-nl did, creating an off topic channel & seeing
> that two channels work, without trading one for the other.
> However, we're unfocused until there is a need for a focused channel,
> for meetings, greeting & helping members new & old, then it becomes an
> unfocused channel again, there has allways been respect, something of an
> unwritten rule. be polite, don't fight.
>
> If logging were an issue, with a two channel system one logged & one
> not, what's to prevent an issue from being moved to offtopic, to avoid
> the logging, or make it a client to client message for that matter. on
> the other end, if logging wasn't made known, who's to say that the
> client your using isn't logging it?
>
> It's hard to have an opinion on this one way or another, I see that both
> sides have some merit, I'm not sure which way I'd lean. Why not leave it
> to the LoCo's (with some strong encouragement, listing where it's
> beneficial to have it) we have op's in our channel all the time (not
> displaying op status, no need for any ops) nor have we needed it in my
> almost 3 years as a member, our channel is active most of the day,
> nearly every day. what issues we had were a long time ago & via our
> mailing list, not on IRC (outside of logged meetings) it's been over a
> year & a half since that happened.
>
> I've not been on this list long & I suppose I don't fully understand the
> desire for requiring logging outside of meetings. I do see why logging
> is valuable & also unwanted, depending on your opinions on the matter,
> why make it policy for every loco to log their channels 24/7, instead of
> leaving that up to the loco's, which some loco's choose to log their
> channels? I ask with my mind fully open, just trying to have an
> understanding on that part of this issue.
>
> Signed,
> Zach Gibbens
> Tennessee PoC (ubuntu-us-tn)
>
> P.S I didn't mean for this to be as long winded as it became, my apologies.

	To start with ther are not enough regional teams! At one time I was
interested in starting one but couldn't get any support,ie:Code of
concudct signing etc. I live In a small town near Cookeville TN. and
wish to start a team here I have personally gotten 15 people to use
Ubuntu and installed it as an only OS on thier computers still I cannot
get assistance.
	David
	in TN