Help promoting Ubuntu Global Jam

Greg Grossmeier greg at grossmeier.net
Sun Sep 20 17:47:18 BST 2009

<quoting name="Søren Bredlund Caspersen" date="2009-09-20" time="11:22:57 +0200">

> I don't want to be a pain, and if I'm interpreting the CC-BY-SA
> licence wrong, please correct me.

I will/would, don't worry :)

> But I don't think a CC-BY-SA license is optimal for these graphics.
>
> If I understand the license correctly, every blog, forum post, wiki
> page etc. including these graphics, need to have a line informing who
> made the graphics. I can quickly come up with a hand full, if not
> more, pages that do include these graphics, but not the required
> attribution.

That is correct. And it can be as simple as
Which would look like "Name CC:BY-SA"

(excuse the non-standard link notation)

> I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if the original author of
> the graphics felt that was the right license, should we not follow it?

We should, as that is the Good Thing (TM) to do.

> If it was really meant to be used in a way where attribution was not
> required, why not choose the right license from the start?

There is no CC license (or FSF license) that does not require attribution
(ie: they all do). However, I could argue that material like this should
have all rights waived (using the CC0 waiver[0], or similar). That way
they can be used/adapted most easily and people wouldn't have to worry
about adding (possibly ugly) attribution information to an otherwise
pretty advertisement/marketing material. But I could also argue that
using the copyleft CC license (BY-SA) or attribution only (BY) is correct
as those are most analogous to the software licenses used in the
community.

Best,

Greg

[0] http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/