Help promoting Ubuntu Global Jam

Søren Bredlund Caspersen soeren.b.c at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 19:00:00 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at grossmeier.net> wrote:
> <quoting name="Søren Bredlund Caspersen" date="2009-09-20" time="11:22:57 +0200">
>
>> I don't want to be a pain, and if I'm interpreting the CC-BY-SA
>> licence wrong, please correct me.
>
> I will/would, don't worry :)

Glad to hear it :)

>> But I don't think a CC-BY-SA license is optimal for these graphics.
>>
>> If I understand the license correctly, every blog, forum post, wiki
>> page etc. including these graphics, need to have a line informing who
>> made the graphics. I can quickly come up with a hand full, if not
>> more, pages that do include these graphics, but not the required
>> attribution.
>
> That is correct. And it can be as simple as
> Which would look like "Name CC:BY-SA"
>
> (excuse the non-standard link notation)
>

>> I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if the original author of
>> the graphics felt that was the right license, should we not follow it?
>
> We should, as that is the Good Thing (TM) to do.

So, to have a concrete example, the much advertised Global Jam wiki
page, artwork section:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam#Artwork

The information right now is:
"All artwork is CC-BY-SA"
with no info of who the author actually is or how (s)he would like to
be attributed.
That page right now doesn't really live up to the license, does it?
And really should be fixed? Pleas correct me if I'm wrong.

>> If it was really meant to be used in a way where attribution was not
>> required, why not choose the right license from the start?
>
> There is no CC license (or FSF license) that does not require attribution
> (ie: they all do). However, I could argue that material like this should
> have all rights waived (using the CC0 waiver[0], or similar). That way
> they can be used/adapted most easily and people wouldn't have to worry
> about adding (possibly ugly) attribution information to an otherwise
> pretty advertisement/marketing material. But I could also argue that
> using the copyleft CC license (BY-SA) or attribution only (BY) is correct
> as those are most analogous to the software licenses used in the
> community.

The big difference between the license of the software on the one side
and graphics and posters on the other, is that including a relatively
small text document with some software doesn't really make
distribution that much harder. With limited screen / paper space on
what ever webpage / flyer you may be producing, even a few words about
the license can become unhandy.

The loco mailing list may not be the right forum for it, but maybe
there needs to be a general discussion of what license to use for
marketing material? Or it has already been had, and I have missed it?

Cheers
Søren