Canonical and LoCo Team Cooperation Guidelines

Rubén Hubuntu hubuntu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:03:13 GMT 2008

Hello everyone!

I believe that Canonical has as much interest in the community as a
distribution platform as they have in ubuntu as a software platform.
Proof of that is all the help they have been giving to the community
members (that's us) for more than 3 years (think in terms of hosting
and a cooperation framework) and the CDs that click in to our doors
through the ShipIt! system after every release, so I'm not going to
argue on whether they are with or against "us".

I think however that the participation of Canonical as the sponsor of
Ubuntu and the LoCo teams worlwide in local events should generally be
more organized and some guidelines should give us an idea of how to
achieve better cooperation.

An example:

FLISOL 2008, taking place 2 days after Hardy's release, is the biggest
FLOSS event happening in Latinamerica (see:
http://installfest.info/FLISOL2008 for more info).
The LoCo team contact members throughout the continent are already
organizing the participation of the different teams in the event. I
proposed that we should ask Canonical to be an sponsor for the whole
thing and through the LoCo Teams cooperate with the organizers of the
event locally (in many cases the organizers are part of the LoCo team
already) and thus help distribute our favorite distro and the best the
FLOSS world has to offer.
The event is taking place in 18 countries simultaneously and the
Ecuador Team will be helping out (the FLISOL organizer from Ecuador is
part of the team as well) and giving out ubuntu love to the masses.

So the organizers of the event are down with it, the LoCo teams have
been positive about it, but where do we go from there? Shall we write
an email to Jono? Ask ShipIt and Booths to everyteam? Order Cds (again
from ShipIt)
 for the event? Send an email to this list about it?

How do I get to know what Canonical is up to? How can the community
voice their interest or make propositions to Canonical and get
feedback? Tthink of Canonical in this sense as
ShipIt/Hosting/Developers/Community/Humans and a company out for a
viable and profitable business for themselves AND the community around
them.

That is one of the issues we have to solve to avoid problems such as
the double appearance Solutions Linux in Paris and other past events.
We have to look at solving this. Telling everybody to just f¤%# off is
just not the way, and is not even fare or in accordance to the CoC
that has make this discursive community at all possible.

Let's keep the ubuntu spirit in this mailist too, please.

Greetings,

Rubén
https://launchpad.net/~hubuntu