LoCo donations idea

Rafael Proença cypherbios at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 17:23:17 BST 2007

I don't know how much it was discussed here before and I'm certainly not the
best
person to talk about, but if someone ask me I'd give my 2 cents:

Why money for LoCo?

All we need are people. Ubuntu is all about people.

If some money has to come, this money should be come direct to Ubuntu
Foundation,
and then the folks responsible for the Foundation would do whatever they
think is important
for the future of the Ubuntu development/community/marketing and so on.

If we start messing up the *community* with *money* (yep, donation is all
about the money),
we are probably going to nowhere than, at the very least, cause trouble
between the members.

Of course, if you can deal with it you can forget everything I said.
And again, it is just my 2 cents.

On 9/27/07, Richard A. Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> You know, I have been seeing this whole storm about becoming a
> not-for-profit
> due to not being able to legally accept donations. I know creating such a
> business would be darn close to impossible in the US, so I just thought of
> this:
>
> What if we work with Canonical on this. If a company wants to donate, have
> them donate to the Ubuntu Foundation or Canonical, and then
> Canonical/Ubuntu
> can then distribute the funds or equipment to the team where the donation
> was
> meant for?
>
> I think this has potential now that I think about it. Canonical and the
> Ubuntu
> Foundation have everything already setup in order to do so. It may prolong
> the time it takes to get the donation, but it would be legal and overall
> much
> easier than attempting the other idea that has been thrown around.
>
> Just my 2 cents, what does everyone else think?
>
> --
> Richard A. Johnson
> nixternal at ubuntu.com
> GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124