Loco Council, or an alternative idea of what it could be :)

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Tue Oct 2 12:00:18 BST 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:24:05 +0100, Yann wrote:

> But when you give money to
> wikipedia, do you bother saying "I want this money to be used only by
> wikipedia france" or "this money should only be used by the wikipedia
> common project"? No, you give the money to "the wikipedia project" which
> then decides how to spend it the best way...

Sorry, but the real world does not work that way.

Specifically: if you want a tax break on your donations, you *need* a
local organization which has the appropriate status. That organization has
to guarantee that the money is spent *only* for its tax-exempt cause and
that its spending benefits the community *in that country*.

Thus, a blanket organization which puts its money into a big melting pot,
to be spent however somebody who is not legally accountable to anybody in
that country, may work in some countries, but it will not work in general.

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
In spite of all the yearnings of men, no one can produce a single
fact or reason to support the belief in God and in personal immortality.
		-- Clarence Darrow, The Sign, May 1938