Loco Council, or an alternative idea of what it could be :)

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 1 08:48:44 BST 2007

Hi,

On 27/09/2007, Yann <yann.hamon at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a medium to far future we may ask canonical for the right to build
> another not-for-profit organisation with ubuntu in its name to separate the
> money dedicated to this project from the money belonging directly to
> ubuntu-fr and ubuntu-de. If we don't get it, well, we may build a not for
> profit without ubuntu in its name :( But with that kind of organisation,
> companies who want to support ubuntu but don't want to give the money to
> another company would finally have someone to give the money to. And
> depending on how much money we get, who knows how many things we could do

To bluntly summarise your suggestion, you are proposing to set up a
rival to the Ubuntu Foundation. As others on the thread have pointed
out, this is really disturbing. Not to mention the fact that you
simply say "we're going to do this", rather than showing a willingness
for discussion on this issue which not only affects the entire
Locoteam project, but affects the entire Ubuntu project.

A more mature and collaborative way to proceed would have been to
voice your concerns about the existing Ubuntu Foundation and the setup
of Ubuntu fundraising with the Community Council, and participate in a
discussion which can identify and analyse the relevant issues. I
invite you to do so now.

I'm copying this email to the Community Council, and for their benefit
the original thread can be found here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2007-September/001648.html

--
Matthew East