Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed Jan 24 23:55:36 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 04:03 PM, James L. Parmenter wrote:
> Hi All;
>          I'm 68 yr old white male who's been using Windows since
> Windows for Work Groups 3.1.1 I just installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my
> Laptop. I've done in the terminal Konsole, sudo apt-get update and
> sudo apt-get upgrade, Discover has updated 259 updates automatically.
> I've re-booted twice since my install. I've searched the Internet for
> things (guides) to do after fresh install, but not sure about some of
> the advice..? I've read some e-books about "how to's" yet not much
> info on setting up the system for an everyday PC usage... I read an
> article about KDE 5.8.8 and some backports..? being available from the
> PPA..? Haven't installed it yet, PPA's leave me a bit weary. I've
> tried Synaptic Package Manager but removed it cuz I don't know what to
> look for..? No problems w/install, so this is NOT Tech Support... just
> asking for advice for a "good System"..!  Thanks in  advance,
>
> James...

Well, James, I think you have made a BIG mistake. Synaptic is a real
useful app. It allows you to find and install a whole galaxy of programs
(apps) that you will find useful while you explore and use

your Linux system.  And KDE 5.x is quite similar to Windows in the way
it works. If you like to put icons on screen to help you jump right into
an application, you can do that, or if you don't, you can

use the Application Menu in the lower left corner of the screen, where
Windows has the Start icon.  (FYI: Linux users like to call the screen
the "desktop"--maybe that's a Microsoft word, I don't know.

The "tray" or "systray" (which is usually along the bottom edge of the
screen in KDE) is usually called the "panel" in Linux.

What to do after a fresh install, you seem to have done: you got all the
updates. After that, what you do is find programs that let you do
whatever you used to do with Windows. There are certainly

Linux routines that copy the same kind of routines that you used in
Windows--sometimes better! You'll find almost all of them in your
Synaptic, once you have reinstalled it!  (Since you no longer have it,

try sudo apt-get install synaptic--I hope that works.)

--doug