Plasma started crashing

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 11 20:47:33 UTC 2016

Xen wrote:
> Nils Kassube schreef op 11-11-2016 19:11:
> > Xen wrote:
> >> So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged
> >> graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).
> >>
> >> I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes
> >> about 10 times per hour.
> >>
> >> I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh
> >> unusable
> >> though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new
> >> one
> >> arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in
> >> my
> >> possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new
> >> card, nVidia GTX 950).
> >
> > Which Kubuntu version are you talking about? Maybe it matters…
>
> 16.04
>
> > Which nvidia driver do you use? I don't think that all drivers work
> > the same with every nvidia card.
>
> Nouveau

Then you could try the driver from nvidia. The driver manager in system
settings should find out which is the right driver for your card.

> > As a start you could disable desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12) and
> > check if it makes a difference.
>
> Yeah but I have no time to troubleshoot now.

Well, if you don't want to troubleshoot, you will have to live with the
crashes - and then I'd like to ask what was the purpose of your mail?
Anyway, just pressing one shortcut shouldn't take that long and
afterwards the crashes might stop.

Nils