help with setup

Thomas nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp
Wed Jan 14 02:16:58 UTC 2015

On 2015/01/13 21:59, Bill Vance wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2015, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>> Good evening
>> I would like to ask for help setting this thing (kubuntu) up.
>> I have been trying to get friendly with "linux" for YEARS and was
>> forced to reinstall all sort of distros
>> a million times already, but never get through it without any problems.
>> And when I actually managed to set the OS up somehow, installing some
>> piece of software has sent it MANY times
>> over the edge in a fashion, that at least I was not capable of
>> recovering ... requiring reinstallation again and again ...
>>
>> Right now, I freshly installed kubuntu 14.04 (deleting everything
>> else that was on the disk), after an installation of xubuntu
>> ("tuxtrans" to be precise),
>> went wacko and I could not recover it.
>
> 14.04 Is known for being _very_ unfriendly to older machines/processors,
> especially if they're AMD.  If that's the case here, you have only
> two options:  One is to upgrade, and try again.  The other is to install
> 12.04 instead, which is stable, and works well on moderately older
> machines.  Both are LTS, (Long Term Support), versions, though 12.04 is
> coming down to the end of it's support time, which means no more program
> updates after that.
>
> Bill

Thank you.
The machine is at home and I am at work, so I cannot really tell you the
details, but:
Mouse notebook computer, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 4-core Intel chip with
3.xxx GB clock speed ...
Is that considered to be "old" (old as in "useless")?
I DID install kubuntu 14.04 from the SAME CD on a Dell Inspiron 1545
with slightly less fancy specs
and there it works ... I would say almost "fine".
Including all the settings for the touch pad, the Japanese input system
(Anthy), which I downloaded via Muon Package Manager.
On this Mouse computer the Muon Package Manager tells me, however, there
IS NO Anthy in the sofware repositories.
That cannot be a hardware problem, can it?