help with setup

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Wed Jan 14 11:43:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015, Thomas wrote:

> On 2015/01/13 21:59, Bill Vance wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2015, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening
>>> I would like to ask for help setting this thing (kubuntu) up.
>>> I have been trying to get friendly with "linux" for YEARS and was
>>> forced to reinstall all sort of distros
>>> a million times already, but never get through it without any
>>> problems.
>>> And when I actually managed to set the OS up somehow, installing some
>>> piece of software has sent it MANY times
>>> over the edge in a fashion, that at least I was not capable of
>>> recovering ... requiring reinstallation again and again ...
>>>
>>> Right now, I freshly installed kubuntu 14.04 (deleting everything
>>> else that was on the disk), after an installation of xubuntu
>>> ("tuxtrans" to be precise),
>>> went wacko and I could not recover it.
>>
>> 14.04 Is known for being _very_ unfriendly to older
>> machines/processors,
>> especially if they're AMD.  If that's the case here, you have only
>> two options:  One is to upgrade, and try again.  The other is to
>> install
>> 12.04 instead, which is stable, and works well on moderately older
>> machines.  Both are LTS, (Long Term Support), versions, though 12.04
>> is
>> coming down to the end of it's support time, which means no more
>> program
>> updates after that.
>>
>> Bill
>>
> Thank you.
> The machine is at home and I am at work, so I cannot really tell you the
> details, but:
> Mouse notebook computer, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 4-core Intel chip with
> 3.xxx GB clock speed ...
> Is that considered to be "old" (old as in "useless")?

I wouldn't think so, though I have no experience with one of these.
More below.

> I DID install kubuntu 14.04 from the SAME CD on a Dell Inspiron 1545
> with slightly less fancy specs
> and there it works ... I would say almost "fine".
> Including all the settings for the touch pad, the Japanese input system
> (Anthy), which I downloaded via Muon Package Manager.
> On this Mouse computer the Muon Package Manager tells me, however, there
> IS NO Anthy in the sofware repositories.
> That cannot be a hardware problem, can it?

I don't have a use for it, and so don't know.  Try to see if it has a
web page.  If you're using google, try the following in your browsers
search window:

    kubuntu+14.04+Anthy+.deb

The plus signs tell google to bring up _only_ those pages that have
_all_ of the search words.  Other pages with just some of the search
words can show up, but only after the others appear.

Bill