help with setup

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Tue Jan 13 12:59:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Good evening
> I would like to ask for help setting this thing (kubuntu) up.
> I have been trying to get friendly with "linux" for YEARS and was forced
> to reinstall all sort of distros
> a million times already, but never get through it without any problems.
> And when I actually managed to set the OS up somehow, installing some
> piece of software has sent it MANY times
> over the edge in a fashion, that at least I was not capable of
> recovering ... requiring reinstallation again and again ...
>
> Right now, I freshly installed kubuntu 14.04 (deleting everything else
> that was on the disk), after an installation of xubuntu ("tuxtrans" to
> be precise),
> went wacko and I could not recover it.

14.04 Is known for being _very_ unfriendly to older machines/processors,
especially if they're AMD.  If that's the case here, you have only
two options:  One is to upgrade, and try again.  The other is to install
12.04 instead, which is stable, and works well on moderately older
machines.  Both are LTS, (Long Term Support), versions, though 12.04 is
coming down to the end of it's support time, which means no more program
updates after that.

Bill