Partitions Not properly aligned

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Aug 18 17:07:42 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 18 August 2015 12:40:53 Richard Barmann wrote:

> I went into the partition manager and looked deeper. On the partitions
> that I sent you yesterday sda1, sdb1, and sdb2 show a yellow warning
> and say "not properly aligned" in KDE partition manager. Could that be
> my problem? I sent the GOOD and BAD logs last night as requested. Dick
> Barmann

Those errors will not generally stop it from working with any recent
kernel, but they WILL make disk access quite slow.

And I am glad somebody has finally made a disk partitioner (besides
GParted) aware of this.  It rears its ugly head ONLY with drives whose
NATIVE sector size is >512 bytes, typically 4096 bytes for todays 1
terrabyte and up drives, but it is not a problem with 512 bytes per
sector drives.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)