The VueScan Kiss-off

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue Jan 28 01:46:28 UTC 2014

I've been using VueScan as a scanning application for probably 5 years.  It
is/was a good application and it supports a lot of scanners.

But with Kubuntu 13.4 (and who knows what other distros of linux) it has a
"window" problem.  If you click on any action, such as PREVIEW or SCAN or even
FILE--->Exit, the program fails to do ANYTHING.   It is only when you switch
to a different desktop,  or window, or minimize the Vuescan window, that any
action will take place.

The program WILL work, but only if you fiddle and diddle with switching or
minimizing windows to give it a "kick".

I've been working with Ed Hammrick  (Ed Hamrick <vuescan at gmail.com>) to try to
solve these issues but in essence, he could care less.

His recent statements:

"Yes, I recommend you use a different scanning solution."

"Yes, I'm probably going to stop supporting Linux in the next few weeks."

"I get less than 1% of my revenues from Linux, and increasingly
the poor quality control in various distributions and increasingly
fragmented distributions makes it difficult to make a single
executable work on many Linux distributions."

So he's giving up on linux and telling us all to "take it somewhere else" to
put it bluntly.

This has to be a simple problem since the program only has a window problem,
but he's not interested in any solution.

So my question to the group is:  "what other scanning solution are you using
under linux?"

Once again, linux users are second class citizens.