Can't see my windows shares in dolphin

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:05:36 UTC 2014

On 04/04/2014 23:53, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> This has been driving me crazy today.  I don't usually use my windows
> machine at work, but today I wanted to copy a file from it to my regular
> linux box.  So I open dolphin and enter "smb://mhirsch-01w" into the
> location bar.  It prompts me for user/password, which I enter.  The
> prompt immediately returns with no error message.
>
> No matter what I enter, it keeps doing this.  I checked with IT and I'm
> not locked out of the system, making me think that I never even really
> connected to it.  After 3 failed logins it will lock my account.
>
> I've also clicked my "Network" icon, gone to "Samba Shares", then my
> windows domain.  This brings up a list of windows machines.  When I
> click my machine I end up in the same situation.
>
> Then I talked to IT.  They insisted it was my firewall.  My firewall
> isn't running.  So then they opened up dolphin on a Fedora 20 system and
> we were able to view my windows shares easily.
>
> So I finally opened nautilus.  I browsed the network, found my machine,
> and immediately got in!
>
> So I'm stumped.  Why can everything see my windows shares except dolphin
> on my system.
>
> I'm running Kubuntu 13.10 and KDE 4.11.5 with the latest updates, but
> not the backports.

Not that it should be needed but have you tried opening the windows
shares with:
smb://ip-number (say 192.168.1.100 or whatever)

That has sometimes helped me. Smb has somehow always been "shaky" on
kubuntu, have no idea way

you could also try installing smb4k that sometimes has worked better for me

kind regards
Sinclair