Can't see my windows shares in dolphin

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:53:44 UTC 2014

This has been driving me crazy today.  I don't usually use my windows
machine at work, but today I wanted to copy a file from it to my regular
linux box.  So I open dolphin and enter "smb://mhirsch-01w" into the
location bar.  It prompts me for user/password, which I enter.  The prompt
immediately returns with no error message.

No matter what I enter, it keeps doing this.  I checked with IT and I'm not
locked out of the system, making me think that I never even really
connected to it.  After 3 failed logins it will lock my account.

I've also clicked my "Network" icon, gone to "Samba Shares", then my
windows domain.  This brings up a list of windows machines.  When I click
my machine I end up in the same situation.

Then I talked to IT.  They insisted it was my firewall.  My firewall isn't
running.  So then they opened up dolphin on a Fedora 20 system and we were
able to view my windows shares easily.

So I finally opened nautilus.  I browsed the network, found my machine, and
immediately got in!

So I'm stumped.  Why can everything see my windows shares except dolphin on
my system.

I'm running Kubuntu 13.10 and KDE 4.11.5 with the latest updates, but not
the backports.

Michael