Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 27 05:40:44 UTC 2013

On 27/10/13 00:22, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Hey Basil & Everybody,
> thanks, Basil,  for your REALLY USEFUL! feedback.
> I know Midnight Commander - that package has been my all time high
> favourite :-)  ever  since Ulrich GrĂ¼n introduced me to Kubuntu Linux
> - already six years ago.
> For now, one question remains.  Which of the steps you mentioned,  are
> meant to be done DURING the installation and which of them afterwords?
> Respectfully yours,
> Bas.

I am glad that you wrote this because I remembered something a short
time ago and was going to add it to what I wrote a day or so ago.

What I forgot to add is to create another, small, only 1GB big,
partition at the beginning and format it in ext4. You probably won't
need it right now but at least you will have it available for use should
you require it.

To understand what I am going to state, and what I already stated
previously, read this article:

http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/down/articles/LSK_multi_distro_install_US.pdf

It may take a couple of readings to really grasp it as it seems (to me
at least) that after the author wrote it someone edited it and did some
shortcuts. However, it is still understandable if you read it carefully
:-) .

Now, to your question above.

The very first thing that you do is to do a backup of your
/home/<your-user-name> to whatever destination is of your choice.
Probably a USB stick may not be big enough so it would be worthwhile to
burn it to a CD or a DVD. Your choice of destination medium.

You do all the partitioning at the start and while you are installing
the system software[$].

After the system is up and running and you have  everything working then
it could be the time to start doing the symlinking.

In other words, there is nothing different to what you would normally do
when installing the system except that once its up and running you
create the directory Alpha (whatever) in 'Data' partition and symlink
the folders/files from your /home to Alpha.

[$] After you have read the URL I gave you above, and after taking into
account what I wrote previously, you will end up when you partition your
HDD with these partitions:

(dev - size - file system - name to give in partitioner)

sda1    1GB     ext4     btldr   <==Do NOT MOUNT[@]

sda2    4GB     swap

sda3    30GB   ext4      /        <==INSTALL system here

sda4    Extended

sda5    30GB   ext4               <==Do NOT mount - for next system

sda6    100GB ext4     Data   <==MOUNT as Data[#]

sda7    balance ext4    Spare <==MOUNT as Spare[#]

[@] You mount this partition manually when, and if, you need it to
create a new grub2 menu - read the pdf above.

[#]  By mounting them in the partitioner setup these will appear in
/etc/fstab and be auto mounted on bootup.

I hope that the above is clear enough and if not ask some questions :-)
. (Once you have done this 2 or 3 times it then becomes very easy.... :-) .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor