Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Oct 26 21:12:25 UTC 2013

On Friday, October 25, 2013 11:24:35 PM you wrote:
> Dear Everybody,
>
> thanks for all the input so far - clear enough to work with it!
>
> For now, one question remains. Do I need to create ONE or TWO /home
> partitions? Background of this question: in the thread 'Still 100% CPU when

I would create two.   One for normal use and one as a backup...  Then use the
backup to back up your home before switching to a new system.

> using Kontact and Akonadi ', there was a suggestion like this one:
> > Today I started from scratch an rebuilt my entire $HOME disk, with
> > a lot of referencing to my old one to determine settings for KMAIL
> > and desktop frills.  Now things are working like a charm.

I wrote that and did that.....   I cleaned out about 15 yrs of junk (most of
it not system related) and recreated my home from scratch.  Wasn't really a
hard job to do and I would say to do it maybe every other install or maybe
three installs.

I also have about three 'systems' or space for them on my system and I rotate
those.  While I'm now running Saucy, I still have Ringtail and Quantal
available if needed.

> Another similar suggestion seems to work out this in more detail:
> > You mean that it is not possible in Kubuntu to create symlinks - for
>
> kmail,
>
> > whatever - to where you have your directories/data stored?

With all due respect to Basil, I've been running linux for 20 years and I
don't think I would try to make all those symlinks into a data partition...
Besides being pretty complex, I don't think it really solves any of the
problems.  When I rebuilt my system, I found that the storage of email files,
which has changed several times over the years, had changed yet again in a
major way that symlinks wouldn't really solve unless you went in a did a lot
of research and changed everything else around yourself.   I'd rather start
fresh and make darn sure that the system was rebuilding itself.

Just too much hassle in my view to make the symlinks.  I'd rather make copious
back-ups and then sort out any problems.  Been doing that for 20 years without
major problems and by rebuilding /home every few installs, it should go even
smoother.

--
"Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing
   section in a swimming pool?"