Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 00:22:35 UTC 2013

Hey Basil & Everybody,
thanks, Basil,  for your REALLY USEFUL! feedback.
I know Midnight Commander - that package has been my all time high
favourite :-)  ever  since Ulrich GrĂ¼n introduced me to Kubuntu Linux -
already six years ago.
For now, one question remains.  Which of the steps you mentioned,  are
meant to be done DURING the installation and which of them afterwords?
Respectfully yours,
Bas.
On 26/10/13 11:42, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

> On 26/10/13 13:18, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 26/10/13 08:50, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

pruned]

 I wasnt too clear about my problem. Yes, part of it can be exclusive
> access, but I also want to share, and that is where I have a problem.

My only comment here would be is to create another partitition - call it,
say, OMEGA - and put the files which you want everyone to share here and
symlink from all users here (/Data/Omega/<folder-file>; and set the
appropriate permissions [read/write/execute by Other or setup a special
Group, put all the users into this Group and allow this Group to
own/read/write/execute].

Don' know if this will work but you probably know more about this than I do
:-) .

 I might be able to solve it by having each user mount the network drive
> using different uid and gid parameters. I will find something. All this is
> not relevant to the original mail, so thanks for the info, especially the
> setup to keep the home clean, and to have multiple machines with the same
> data. I am certainly going to use that.
>
> Regards, Guus.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor