multiple desktops with icons

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:47:42 UTC 2013

Hi all,
So I'm brand new to kde.  I'm giving it a try because I want to have
different icon sets on different workspaces (ie, a task oriented setup).
 So, when I first started up, I looked for the setting here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439279<kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
  but couldn't find it.

I also noticed that my icons on the desktop were missing.  BUT, then I
noticed there was a  window with my icons  in it.  I tried to drag it to
the corner, and make it bigger to take up the whole desktop, but then it
disappeared, and now my icons are missing.

I've noticed the Activities feature, which looks like what I might want,
but I can't figure out how to get icons on the desktop.

Am-I-doing-it-wrong?

Dan

PS - a few other issues:
I tried to change the default browser to chrome, but the menu still just
opens Rekonq
The copy for joining this mailing list includes a blurb about joining
Sounder for more offtopic discussions, but that list is obsolete/shutdown:
"This is a technical support list. Please keep any off-topic
Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Linux/FOSS subjects in the appropriate list(s), such as
Sounder https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/sounder
"