Still 100% CPU when using Kontact - nearly SOLVED!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 14 11:23:53 UTC 2013

On 14/10/13 01:17, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> On 13/10/13 14:10, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 13/10/13 19:52, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>>> I actually like this solution. I am certainly going to try it out. A
>>> drawback is, that for any new application that is important to me
>>> (i.e. not a game or experiment) I will have to find out actively
>>> where the application stores the data I find important and redirect
>>> it to a fixed location. In the past I have also noticed that
>>> differing distribution tend to have different places to store mails
>>> (thunderbird is an example of this).
>>
>> Thunderbird stores your mail in only one place - ever! And that is in
>> your home directory in the directory ./thunderbird. That's it. And if
>> you are running Windows Thunderibird will always store your mail
>> under Users/<yourname>/....../.thunderbird (and Firefox stores it in
>> the same, or rather similar place, ....../mozilla). So if you ARE
>> running Windows and then decide to use Linux all you need to do is to
>> copy over to your /home directory the thunderbird and mozilla
>> directories in Windows.
>>
>> Re the rest of your comments, someone else will correct me on this
>> but as far as I know your data is stored in your /home directory and
>> no where else. Reason for this is that Linux is a multiuser system
>> and each user has his/her own /home directory and that is where
>> his/her data is stored.
> Yes .... well, in this I meant different place within the home
> directory: we were discussing home directory.
>
> In the past, when I switched distributions, I had to look for
> thunderbird in alternate locations.
> If I remember correctly they were Fedora and Ubuntu: one had the
> thunderbird files from ~/.mozilla/thunderbird, and the other from
> ~/.thunderbird.
> Currently that is no longer the case: I just checked. Anyway, the
> point is, that these things change.
> The data directory, where your mail is stored, should be a concious
> decision, not a default placement and certainly not mixed with
> configuration files.

I must be missing something here.....but why do you have this
"obsession" with where these files are located? :-) .

Put these files in a place where YOU want them (like I did with putting
them on the second HDD in directory Special) and then create symlinks to
them from wherever they may be put by a new installation.

Of course you do NOT symlink any config files[#] to Special but only
such as Documents, Downloads, .thunderbird, .mozilla, Pictures, Videos,
and so on.

You do NOT want to keep from one installation to another any config
files which may be put in ./kde4 and so on because you do NOT want to
retain old baggage which may stuff up your new installation. It is
always best to do a CLEAN new installation - this way if you have any
hassles you don't have to worry about whether or not it is caused by the
previous model of your system.

[#] As you know there are system config files and there are the user's
(and root's) config files. As far as I am concerned none of these are of
any importance and should be generated when a new version is being
installed. If you have some special settings for your Desktop or some
application then get yourself a little notebook (I have my Little Black
Book) and write those settings in it so that you can apply them to the
new installation.

> But I will try this approach as it seems easiest to apply.
>>>
>>> Still, I feel that linux users and developers alike are
>>> insufficiently aware of this being a problem.
>>
>> This is not a problem. All it requires is the exercise of "the little
>> grey cells".
>> And the developers are not stupid - well, not all of them anyway :-) .
>
> I am not implying that anyone is stupid, just that dev + users are not
> sufficiently aware that data placement in hidden directories mixed
> with configuration is far from ideal.

There are no such things as hidden directories. Everything is openly
available to you as a user and as root/administrator of your system. The
"hidden" directories are "hidden" to keep newbies who are transferring
from Windows to Linux getting their sticky fingers into them and
stuffing something up.

Your Dolphin has a setting to display "hidden" directories. But if you
really want a hassle free "looksee" at your system then install mc
(Midnight Commander) which is the Swiss knife of file managers. It may
not installed by default so install it and get used to using it. Want to
create a symlink? Do it with mc - as simple as falling off a log. Want
to search for a file? Do it with mc. Want to search for some word in a
file? Do it with mc. Want to......? Do it with mc :-) .

> I wonder if there is a way to make sure this gets attention, what
> platform we have to file such a desire / complaint / bug / feature.
>>>
>>> Guus.
> And I still do.

No one's stopping you :-) .

BC

--
"If you read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only
  think what everyone else is thinking." - Haruki Murakami