Still 100% CPU when using Kontact - nearly SOLVED!

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 13 14:17:53 UTC 2013

On 13/10/13 14:10, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/10/13 19:52, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>> I actually like this solution. I am certainly going to try it out. A
>> drawback is, that for any new application that is important to me
>> (i.e. not a game or experiment) I will have to find out actively
>> where the application stores the data I find important and redirect
>> it to a fixed location. In the past I have also noticed that
>> differing distribution tend to have different places to store mails
>> (thunderbird is an example of this).
>
> Thunderbird stores your mail in only one place - ever! And that is in
> your home directory in the directory ./thunderbird. That's it. And if
> you are running Windows Thunderibird will always store your mail under
> Users/<yourname>/....../.thunderbird (and Firefox stores it in the
> same, or rather similar place, ....../mozilla). So if you ARE running
> Windows and then decide to use Linux all you need to do is to copy
> over to your /home directory the thunderbird and mozilla directories
> in Windows.
>
> Re the rest of your comments, someone else will correct me on this but
> as far as I know your data is stored in your /home directory and no
> where else. Reason for this is that Linux is a multiuser system and
> each user has his/her own /home directory and that is where his/her
> data is stored.
Yes .... well, in this I meant different place within the home
directory: we were discussing home directory.

In the past, when I switched distributions, I had to look for
thunderbird in alternate locations.
If I remember correctly they were Fedora and Ubuntu: one had the
thunderbird files from ~/.mozilla/thunderbird, and the other from
~/.thunderbird.
Currently that is no longer the case: I just checked. Anyway, the point
is, that these things change.
The data directory, where your mail is stored, should be a concious
decision, not a default placement and certainly not mixed with
configuration files.

>> But I will try this approach as it seems easiest to apply.
>>
>> Still, I feel that linux users and developers alike are
>> insufficiently aware of this being a problem.
>
> This is not a problem. All it requires is the exercise of "the little
> grey cells".
> And the developers are not stupid - well, not all of them anyway :-) .

I am not implying that anyone is stupid, just that dev + users are not
sufficiently aware that data placement in hidden directories mixed with
configuration is far from ideal.

>> I wonder if there is a way to make sure this gets attention, what
>> platform we have to file such a desire / complaint / bug / feature.
>>
>> Guus.
And I still do.

> BC

Guus.