HDD does spin down and up again and again

Steve Riley steve at rileyz.net
Wed Nov 27 19:12:05 UTC 2013

The file /etc/hdparm.conf is your friend.

My ThinkPad has a second HDD in its UltraBay. I use this mainly for storing photos and music. I don't access it very often, so I don't want the drive to spin unless I need it. I've accomplished this by doing two things:

* Omitting an entry in /etc/fstab for the filesystem (/dev/sdb1) on the drive
* Adding an entry to /etc/hdparm.conf that tells the system to power-down the drive after boot

That entry is the following:

   /dev/sdb {
      apm = 127
      apm_battery = 127
   }

"man hdparm.conf" will tell you more about this configuration file. For the actual values to set, consult "man hdparm"; here, you will learn that 127 is the value to use for immediate power-down.

I also intentionally omitted an entry for /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab. Instead, I rely on Udisks to take care of automounting for me.

The end result is perfect. When I boot the computer, I can hear the drive spin only for a few seconds until init parses /etc/hdparm.conf and powers the drive down. The drive stays quiet until I really want it -- there are no random touches, which is what I think you want to prevent.

Opening Dolphin will *not* power up the drive. When I click the drive in the "Places" pane, Udisks applies power and mounts the drive. Once I'm finished with it, the drive powers back down quickly (because my APM setting is aggressive at 127).

...Steve