HDD does spin down and up again and again

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 09:35:16 UTC 2013

Hi :)

some days ago I started testing KDE, being a long time Linux user, running
Xfce for the last years.

KDE does touch without any reason my "green" HDD, so 193 Load_Cycle_Count does
increase for nothing.

When I experienced the same issue with other DEs I removed gvfs, in case it
was an optional dependencies or replaced gvfs with an empty dummy package when
it was a hard dependency, to get rid of this HDD killer.

It's neither possible to disable the "green" option, nor do I want to disable
it, assumed it should be possible. The order to spin down external drives
after a while is one of the EU Regulation that are ok. Touching the drive for
nothing simply is a bug.

As a command line user, there's no need for me to see Trash and removable
devices on the Desktop or by Dolphin.

My all day distro is Arch Linux, but I'm testing KDE with Kubuntu Saucy. What
do I need to remove, to get rid of the HDD killer for the KDE install?

I'll ask at KDE mailing list too, but since the traffic on this and the KDE list
is very low, I "cross-post" this request.

Regards,
Ralf