External Backup Disk Drive

Ramesh Rao rameshrao55 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 23 19:22:56 UTC 2013

Thanks a lot Bas. I need to digest and try doing what is suggested in these Forums. Will get back to you ASAP.

Ramesh

From: basroufs at gmail.com
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: External Backup Disk Drive
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 16:16:19 +0200

Hello again, Ramesh,

First of all, I DID receive the screen shots you have sent the reply to my
previous mail.

>From your reply, I get that your system does not yet recognise your external
HD as an external HD. Now, I remember, I had a similar problem when I was
trying to get on the way with my own 2 TB  external HD.
On the other hand, you manage to find it via "lsusb".This is a good starting
point. Stay in the command line  and follow the instructions of this page:

http://superuser.com/questions/467170/how-do-i-mount-internal-hdds-in-ubuntu-via-the-command-line

See also amongst others this one:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

If you need more info, go to Google and give in this search string:
mount external hdd Ubuntu command line
!! Take care of consulting pages not older than about one year!!

Secondly, I need to slightly amend my own explanation on "Lucky Backup".

> Finally, one point of attention with respect to Lucky Backup. A few times, I
> got back "old" files and folders from the external HD back to the laptop.
> Later, I found out how to prevent this. I use the option "synchronise source
> and destination.". The laptop, /home/user name, is the "source" in this case.
> The external HD is the destination: /media/name-of-external-HD/user name.
> One
> of the "advanced" options I use, is this one: "delete files on the
> destination". By doing so, I make sure I get the most recent files and
> folders configuration on BOTH source AND destination.
> In case you have to put back your files and folders to your laptop, after a
> fresh install, simply use one time an option like "clone source to
> destination". In that case, do NOT use the advanced option "delete files  on
> the destination".

If you want to avoid getting back old files and old folder structures, it is better to act as follows:

start Lucky Backup in root mode and choose for the main option "backup source inside destination";
than go to ADVANCED > tab "command options";
inside the tab "command options", tick the first 4 boxes from the left, "Preserve .... special files";
stay in the same tab and tick the first 3 boxes from the right: "Delete ..... from the right";
still stay in the same tab and tick the box "Do NOT create extra directory";
now go to the tab "exclude", and tick ALL the boxes there;
stay in the same tab and check via the button "validate;
when everything seems to be OK, press at the button "run" and give Lucky Backup the time to carry out it's job;
after the process, check the result via the command line file manager "Midnight Commander" via the command "sudo mc";
check both the computer and your external HD and remove the files/ folders you do not need any more on both sides;
you can find your external disk via /media;
if you do not have Midnight Commander, install  it via' sudo apt-get install mc';
repeat the backup process explained above as often as you want - at least once or twice a week, or even daily in case of very intense working days behind the PC.
Good luck. My next possibility to get back to you at this forum is probably tomorrow.

Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.