12.04 is the worst yet

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue May 22 22:58:19 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 02:53:09 PM Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> > > And some odd behaviour in webkit (Rekonq) but those will be sorted.
> > > Until then I use Firefox and have no problems with that.
> > >

> > > Note: I only use pop mail accounts, no Imap. And I weed out old email
> > > regularly so do not have "massive" mail folders.
> >

> > Same here....
>
> Same here. Can not keep system up for more than 3/4 of a day before Kmail2
> becomes so unresponsive that I have to shutdown and restart system. And
> that  is with Kmail2 only on for a few minuites during the day. Ususally I
> wounld like to shutdown only after a system update that requires it. My
> current operational mode is too Windows like for me.

Kmail2 is snappy here....  when its running.  But it might crash 4 times in 5
mins - - sometimes as soon as you restart it - - and then it might run for an
hour or two.  And it has other severe problems with filters, folders, etc.

They really did a number on it...  and I would think there would have been
some fixes coming by now.  I went through the long process of detailing a
crash including installing a bunch of debug stuff and when I got to the final
stage, I found out my problem was a dupe of many others.  So I won't do that
again.

Not sure how long I will deal with the issues.

I have all the desktop search stuff enabled, which might be your problem.  Try
increasing the memory used under "advanced settings" of desktop search.