compiling lightdm-kde greeter

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Thu Jun 7 19:45:02 UTC 2012

"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 07/06/2012 12:43, Clay Weber wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:16:53 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> Am on Kubuntu 11.10 and want to try out lighdm-kde greeter. Have
>found
>>> the git and cloned it - but am stuck at how to compile, what input
>>> parameters and packages are needed.
>>>
>>> Anyone has a clue or I am stuck with KDM until I (again) upgrade to
>>> 12.04 (not before KDE SC 4.9 is in repos).
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Sinclair
>>
>> It is in the Precise repos, you can install it without compiling , no
>ppa
>> needed:
>>
>> lightdm-kde-greeter
>>
>As I stated in the first sentence I am back on Oneiric and will stay
>there until KDE moves to 4.9 and is in the Precise repos. And I read
>some good reviews of it. KDEPIM 4.8.3 felt like one big regression from
>
>4.7.4 and I use KDEPIM extensively.
>
>I downloaded the package from Precise but as can be expected it has
>dependencies Oneiric can not fulfill. The PPA is outdated and I have
>not
>managed to get it to work so I want to try the git code.
>
>Kindly
>Sinclair
>
>--

Sorry, I simply got my numbers names mixed up. My apologies.

What steps have you done so far? If you haven't already  you should install build-essential and kdelibs5, as well as cmake if that is not pulled in. Not being near a computer atm I would think that running
$ sudo apt-get build-dep lightdm will be necessary as well.

Off the top of my head the only issues you may have dependency wise would be if the greeter requires some kde qt or lightdm version that is newer than what is in oneiric, but that probably is fine.

Just to be forewarned, kdepim might not have many updates when KDE releases 4.9 as it normally has it's own release schedule.

I also am not positive if 4.9 will make it into the normal repos for 12.04, though it will make it into a ppa. We don't normally get major point releases from the one in each version, but as 12.04 is a 5 year LTS, that may be up in the air.
--
Clay Weber