How to store passwords for Windows Shares in Dolphin/KNetAttach?

José Queiroz zekkerj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:59:15 UTC 2012

Em 23 de fevereiro de 2012 11:05, Guus <gbonnema at xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> On 02/23/2012 12:07 PM, O. Sinclair wrote:
>

>> given that windows shares are normally on a LAN I kind of doubt anyone
>> with a stolen computer will access them. I would like to know the answer
>> myself as I go nuts by having to put in the username and password every
>> time I connect to one of the windows servers I frequently work with
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> Hey Sinclair,
>
> You may be right if its on a LAN (and they dont take your server as well
> xD). Still, I have become very careful with storing passwords in browsers
> and other applications because I have seen the consequences.
> Reading your response I was wondering why you bother with a password at
> all, given that the shares are not publicly accessible.
>
> Guus Bonnema.

Hi Gus,

Several browsers have a "master password" function that makes it a little
harder to someone access saved passwords without proper permissions.

But if you're using a machine that you cannot trust by any reason --- in
example, a cybercafe --- the best option is use "private mode browsing", or
at least remember to clear all saved data (sessions, passwords, cookies,
etc) prior leaving the machine.

The worst option of all is have no passwords. The fact that a share have no
public access doesn't means that everyone that can connect to it have
rights to access it. Even on a SOHO environment, there may be reasons to
one person to keep some files away from its near users.