How to store passwords for Windows Shares in Dolphin/KNetAttach?

knutihe at web.de knutihe at web.de
Thu Feb 23 13:39:17 UTC 2012

On 23.02.2012 14:14, Guus wrote:On 02/23/2012 02:05 PM, Guus wrote:
On 02/23/2012 12:07 PM, O. Sinclair wrote:

given that windows shares are normally on a LAN I kind of doubt anyone with a stolen computer will access them. I would like to know the answer myself as I go nuts by having to put in the username and password every time I connect to one of the windows servers I frequently work with

Sinclair

Hey Sinclair,

You may be right if its on a LAN (and they dont take your server as well xD). Still, I have become very careful with storing passwords in browsers and other applications because I have seen the consequences.
Reading your response I was wondering why you bother with a password at all, given that the shares are not publicly accessible.

Guus Bonnema.
 If you really want this automated, why not create a script that mounts the share with the password in it? Make sure the script is only readable and writable by you or by root, and only executable by others or not.
Then execute the script either at startup or at logon.

Hope this helps.

Guus.
 Problem with this is, that root mounts the drives then and the normal user does not have rights to write files in these shared folders, as far as i know. That was the problem that I always had when I scripted it directly in /etc/fstab. Btw. I'm in an enterprise environment.