Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Feb 7 13:55:53 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 06:16 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>

> Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
> funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
> Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
> Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
> infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
> as well.
>

> http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/

Reading down through the comments at the bottom of the article I think I
can agree with several of the comments. I don't claim to be any sort of
expert on the politics and inner workings of Canonical, but it has
always sort of seemed to me that Canonical has treated Kubuntu as a "red
headed step-child". They put it out there and didn't commit to it as
fully as they should if they were really serious about it.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -