Nepomuk performance

Tim Edwards liststuff at fastmail.com.au
Tue Feb 7 09:38:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 07:23 PM, Mike McGinn wrote:
> Hi Valter,
> I appreciate your candor. I have been using Kontact for almost ten years
> now,
> I have thousands of email stored in it, I have hundreds of filters set up
> and
> there is the matter of my address book. Moving to Thunderbird would be a
> nightmare, but I am seriously considering. I run 4.4.8 under KDE 4.4.5.
> The
> whole Akanodi thing has never worked right, I had to hack to get it to
> start
> at the start of the KDE session, I have never been able to sync with my
> Google
> calender and it seems that newer releases just keep getting worse. I run
> Kubuntu LTS and was hoping the next version would bring some improvement,
> now
> it would seem that the opposite would be true.
>
> I am a CTO in my day job and at this point if I got a resume listing the
> kde-
> pim project as experience I would not even grant an interview.

+1 I've used Thunderbird for years now but recently I looked at
switching back to Kmail/Kontact as Thunderbird's address book is
terrible. I have all my mail served by IMAP servers (a local one for
archives, remote for current stuff), so no need to worry about
transferring message archives between programs.

Kmail was still a disaster, uninformative error messages everywhere,
duplicate resources appearing and the Google Contact sync simply failed
with no error message and for no reason. Not to mention I first had to
hack around in .kde config files to get Akonadi working properly, and
then use Akonadi configuration dialogs which don't appear in the menus
but can be started by running a command directly. I even created a
completely new user with a fresh home directory and tried setting it up
there and got nothing but errors and frustration.

Kmail/kontact had the potential to be a great program, but at the moment
it's a buggy, poorly documented, opaque and way over-complicated mess.
And don't get me started on Akonadi. Thank god we have Thunderbird.

Tim