how to improve home disk space

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat Apr 14 23:25:41 UTC 2012

On 08/04/12 21:56, Rajubhai Ramvani wrote:
> dear sir,
>       when i upgrade any programme the massage is desplaying (disk
> space full) or (low disk space). so how can we improve disk space so
> in future we not want this type massage. i know the we can do this by
> home folder empty.but what is proper solution.anybody can help me.
> rajuramvani.

Hi,
     If we assume you only have one partition for Kubuntu, you could
check the /tmp and /home/%userid%/tmp directories to see how much space
is used in those and delete the contents, which may or may not release a
fair amount of disk space. Linux is like windows, by default it doesn't
clear temp directories, although having said this some distributions
allocate /temp to a ram disk to simulate emptying at shutdown. If your
Kubuntu is doing this there should be an entry in /etc/fstab assigning
/tmp to tempfs.

regards,
Steve