No sound in Kubuntu 11.04

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun May 22 16:42:25 UTC 2011

Hello,

Every time I boot my VAIO VPCF111FB, the sound starts working ok in KDE.
After some time it is running (sometimes hours, sometimes days), audio
stops working in KDE. KDE notifications don't produce any sound and KDE
applications do not either. However, non-KDE applications like mplayer
continue producing sounds normally. The problem is "solved" temporarily
with a reboot.
Also, when I go to SystemSettings -> Multimedia after the sound stops
working, I get a messaging informing that KDE has detected that one or
more internal sound devices were removed (?!) and asking if KDE can
permanently forget about them. The supposedly removed devices are:
Capture: HDA Intel (ALC275 Analog)
Output: HDA Intel (ALC275 Analog)
Output: HDA Intel (ALC275 Analog) #1

After a reboot, the devices magically hurry back inside the notebook and
start working again.

Before Natty I was running Lucid in this very computer with no sound
issues at all.
This happens after a clean Kubuntu 11.04 amd64 install and also happens
if I first install Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 and add kubuntu-desktop later.
Since Jaunty, I have always installed first Ubuntu and later added
kubuntu-desktop, because I used to have similar sound problems when
installing Kubuntu directly (with other computers, before I've bought
this one) that seam to be solved this way. But now with Natty, the
problems persist even if I install Ubuntu first.
Any idea of what may be causing this? I hate having to reboot the
computer every now and then.

Thanks,

Marcelo