11.04: KUbuntu vs Ubuntu_+_KDE - (Dis- &) Advantages ; gre

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue May 17 04:56:54 UTC 2011

Thanks JW :)

On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:07:31 -0700, "Pastor JW"
<pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> said:
> On Monday, May 16, 2011 12:43:09 am giovanni_re wrote:

> > ==
> > For a system that will be used only with the KDE (ie not Ubuntu default
> > = GNOME/Unity) desktop:
> >
> > What are the
> > 1) Advantages, &
> > 2) Disadvantages
> >
> > to creating a KDE system in Ubuntu 11.04 using the two approaches:
> > A) Install KUbuntu directly, versus
> > B) Install Ubuntu, then add in the KDE system?
> >
> > Has anyone tried both ways, & tested them out?
>
> We have found "B" to work the best all around and it allows you the use
> of
> synaptic package manager which is by far the easiest to use.

The spm is very useful.  On the last install of this system, I installed
KU 10.04, & then just apt added that in - saved me from having all the
extra unnecessary GNOME stuff - it only added _some_ stuff.

Also this
> way
> allows your sound to work easier, (add pavucontol)

Yes, that's the main kind of thing I'm asking about here.  I'm wondering
if KU 11.04 is still missing some important functionality, like some
sound stuff.

Can I merely do a KU 11.04 install, then apt install pavucontrol?

==  Join in the Global monthly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture
Smartphone Debian:  http://wiki.debian.org/Smartphone