11.04: KUbuntu vs Ubuntu_+_KDE - (Dis- &) Advantages ; gre

Clay Weber claydoh at claydoh.com
Tue May 17 06:00:36 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:56:54 AM giovanni_re wrote:
> Thanks JW :)
>
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:07:31 -0700, "Pastor JW"
>
> <pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> said:
> > On Monday, May 16, 2011 12:43:09 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > > ==
> > > For a system that will be used only with the KDE (ie not Ubuntu default
> > > = GNOME/Unity) desktop:
> > >
> > > What are the
> > > 1) Advantages, &
> > > 2) Disadvantages
> > >
> > > to creating a KDE system in Ubuntu 11.04 using the two approaches:
> > > A) Install KUbuntu directly, versus
> > > B) Install Ubuntu, then add in the KDE system?
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried both ways, & tested them out?
> >
> > We have found "B" to work the best all around and it allows you the use
> > of
> > synaptic package manager which is by far the easiest to use.
>
> The spm is very useful.  On the last install of this system, I installed
> KU 10.04, & then just apt added that in - saved me from having all the
> extra unnecessary GNOME stuff - it only added _some_ stuff.
>

> Also this
>
> > way
> > allows your sound to work easier, (add pavucontol)
>
> Yes, that's the main kind of thing I'm asking about here.  I'm wondering
> if KU 11.04 is still missing some important functionality, like some
> sound stuff.
>
> Can I merely do a KU 11.04 install, then apt install pavucontrol?

Installing Kubuntu on top of Ubuntu is a silly way to go, unless you want to
have both desktops installed. If there is anything missing, it is much simpler
to just install what you may need.

For sound, pavucointrol is available as there is no KDE equivalent at the
moment.  Not everyone needs it, however.

KPackagekit is underrated imo, and is my gui package manager of choice, though
the new Muon is also an excellent KDE alternative - created by a Kubuntu
developer no less.

There is NO advantage whatsoever in doing "B" unless you want Gnome and
KDE.

Clay