11.04: KUbuntu vs Ubuntu_+_KDE - (Dis- &) Advantages ; gre

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Mon May 16 17:32:32 UTC 2011

On 05/16/2011 08:07 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Monday, May 16, 2011 12:43:09 am giovanni_re wrote:
>> In recent KUbuntu releases, there have been problems reported with using
>> a system based on installing KUbuntu directly -
>> perhaps to some system services, like sound, network manager, wifi,
>> apt-updating, or the file system tools.  Some people had reported more
>> success by installing Ubuntu, then adding on the KDE system.
>>
>> [Although, that also creates some (minor?) problems, like unnecessary
>> extra duplicative sw installed, extra start menu categories/items, etc.]
>>
>> Now that 11.04 has been out a while,&  has had a chance to stabilize a
>> bit more, has information been collected about these issues wrt this
>> latest release?
>>

>> ==
>> For a system that will be used only with the KDE (ie not Ubuntu default
>> = GNOME/Unity) desktop:
>>
>> What are the
>> 1) Advantages,&
>> 2) Disadvantages
>>
>> to creating a KDE system in Ubuntu 11.04 using the two approaches:
>> A) Install KUbuntu directly, versus
>> B) Install Ubuntu, then add in the KDE system?
>>
>> Has anyone tried both ways,&  tested them out?
>
> We have found "B" to work the best all around and it allows you the use of
> synaptic package manager which is by far the easiest to use. Also this way
> allows your sound to work easier, (add pavucontol) ...AND allows you the use
> of anything gnome you like in your KDE platform.  This way also allows you to
> use the recommended gnome tested upgrades when that time comes.  I really
> can't think of any disadvantages other that using slightly more space on your
> drive, however, you can install THREE flavors of Ubuntu in the space need by a
> basic windoze install!!!  The other flavor we use around here is the Xfce-
> desktop.  Ubuntu still is the base engine for any of these desktops.
> Duplication is perhaps a very minor disadvantage but you will find your
> favorites to use.  Actually, the freedom to pick and choose is a basic plank
> in the Linux systems platform and I for one do not want to see that freedom
> removed!

One big disadvantage of installing Ubuntu then KDE is that if you 'accidentally' click on a
'help' button (I can't remember exactly) you then initiate Nautilus (or if you start Nautilus
anyway) and it takes over your desktop. There is a workaround to disable Nautilus but I can't
remember what it is.
There was a thread titled: 'Opening Nautilus changes KDE plasma desktop to Gnome desktop' which
has the workaround - although I'm not sure if it was a simple one or not.

The other disadvantage is that with all the extra packages installed, every time one does an
upgrade there are all those extra packages taking one's bandwidth and time.

Just a couple of things to consider.....

Nigel