11.04: KUbuntu vs Ubuntu_+_KDE - (Dis- &) Advantages ; gre

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon May 16 17:07:31 UTC 2011

On Monday, May 16, 2011 12:43:09 am giovanni_re wrote:
> In recent KUbuntu releases, there have been problems reported with using
> a system based on installing KUbuntu directly -
> perhaps to some system services, like sound, network manager, wifi,
> apt-updating, or the file system tools.  Some people had reported more
> success by installing Ubuntu, then adding on the KDE system.
>
> [Although, that also creates some (minor?) problems, like unnecessary
> extra duplicative sw installed, extra start menu categories/items, etc.]
>
> Now that 11.04 has been out a while, & has had a chance to stabilize a
> bit more, has information been collected about these issues wrt this
> latest release?
>

> ==
> For a system that will be used only with the KDE (ie not Ubuntu default
> = GNOME/Unity) desktop:
>
> What are the
> 1) Advantages, &
> 2) Disadvantages
>
> to creating a KDE system in Ubuntu 11.04 using the two approaches:
> A) Install KUbuntu directly, versus
> B) Install Ubuntu, then add in the KDE system?
>
> Has anyone tried both ways, & tested them out?

We have found "B" to work the best all around and it allows you the use of
synaptic package manager which is by far the easiest to use. Also this way
allows your sound to work easier, (add pavucontol) ...AND allows you the use
of anything gnome you like in your KDE platform.  This way also allows you to
use the recommended gnome tested upgrades when that time comes.  I really
can't think of any disadvantages other that using slightly more space on your
drive, however, you can install THREE flavors of Ubuntu in the space need by a
basic windoze install!!!  The other flavor we use around here is the Xfce-
desktop.  Ubuntu still is the base engine for any of these desktops.
Duplication is perhaps a very minor disadvantage but you will find your
favorites to use.  Actually, the freedom to pick and choose is a basic plank
in the Linux systems platform and I for one do not want to see that freedom
removed!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403